"Imagine -- Unsuitable for Children"

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 3 14:05:19 EDT 2004

> Hmm, but remember 'The only good Dorig is a dead Dorig'? Racial murder
and
> territorial disputes often go together, since one can be used to
justify the
> other. Not just with the North American Indians and General Sheridan,
> either - think Lebensraum.

I agree on this – aggressive racism (i.e. not exotism: "Wow, those people in
X land are so *uninhibited* and *childlike*!") is almost always paired with
economic or social factors. If two people want to live in the same place, or
one wants to sell the other to the highest bidder, racial factors come up as
an excuse: "They're not like *us*." If it's not a question of loss of money,
it can be loss of power or loss of control, but "pure" racism is hard to
find. White people didn't generally start seeing black people as subhuman
until the profits of slave trading had to be kept safe from pesky morals.

Wow, the discussions that arise on this list!

Katta