"Imagine -- Unsuitable for Children"

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Jul 3 10:49:26 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 08:36:18AM +0100, Charles Butler wrote:
> Minnow:
>
> > Surely it is more about a territorial dispute between two (or three)
> > opposed countries, rather than racial murder?  Unless one is going to
> count
> > the wars in history between the French and the English, say, as racial
> > murder rather than territorial dispute, I don't think that one's a runner.
> >

> Hmm, but remember 'The only good Dorig is a dead Dorig'? Racial murder and
> territorial disputes often go together, since one can be used to justify the
> other. Not just with the North American Indians and General Sheridan,
> either - think Lebensraum.

Also, there's much discussion of how the Dorig aren't really people,
which is often a facet of justifying racially-based murder.  I forget
the exact bits, but I know we also get a glimpse of the fact that the
Dorig don't think the Lymen are human either because of something they
don't do that the Dorig do.

When I thought of racial disagreements, Power of Three was the first
that came to mind since the three races know little to nothing about
one another and what they do know they've mostly embroidered or just
plain made up to justify their actions.

Allison