short stories

Allison Marles apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jul 2 11:20:10 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 11:04:32AM -0400, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> > I do not think I have read this "Enna Hittims", but I immediately notice
> > that it looks strangely like "Anne Smith" phonetically backwards.  I
> > wonder what the significance of that is ? Does it come up in the story ?
>
> The significance is that the main character is named Anne Smith, and it is
> indeed explained.
>
> Do other people have the same kind of nasty suspicious mind I do, and try
> to read everything backwards if it looks kind of weird, and therefore were
> not surprised at all about the uses of a certain object in the first Harry
> Potter book?

YES!!!! :)  I immediately do that with any weird looking words, and in
fact when I mentioned that I thought Enna Hittims looked like Anne
Smith, I almost mentioned that certain object in Harry Potter since I
did it for that too.  Another one that comes to mind, although had no
story significance, was in Gordon Korman's book Son of Interflux (a
funny, YA book), there's a character who writes a story about the Evil
Lord Nodrog and the time of Niknar Tap.  and I immediately read them
backwards and say: Nodrog == Gordon and Niknar Tap == Pat Rankin

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :)

Allison

I'm too young to buy a lifetime supply of Ovaltine.