We have lift-off.

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Jul 2 01:03:41 EDT 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 01:15, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

> 1) The stories in Stopping for a Spell (Chair Person, The Four
> Grannies, and Who Got Rid of Angus Flint?) are only in that book, and
> those are all the stories the book has.
>
> 2) Unexpected Magic and Mixed Magics do not contain any of the same
> stories, and if you read both of those, you will then have read all
> the short stories I've heard of except for The True State of Affairs
> (which is in Everard's Ride and Minor Arcana) and The Shape of the
> Narrative in Lord of the Rings, which is not truly a short story, as
> it's an essay, but it's fabulous anyway, and it's in Everard's Ride.
>
> Unexpected Magic has four, and Mixed Magics has two, stories that are
> not in any other Diana Wynne Jones short story books. So those two
> books plus Everard's Ride will get you everything.

But I already have Warlock at the Wheel and Minor Arcana (and Stopping
for a Spell but that's irrelevant) so I've always been reluctant to
shell out the full price for a book just to get a few new stories, as
well as a lot of old stories. I wish publishers would simply not
publish overlapping collections.

And if I understand it right, the only thing in Everard's Ride that I
don't have already is the essay, and I'm not going to shell out the
full price of a book for *that*.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 14-Jun-2004