We have lift-off.

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jul 1 18:03:25 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Elizabeth Evans wrote:

> I'm becoming aware of the number of DWJ short stories I haven't read. I know
> that a number of them are in two or more anthologies, but I am getting the
> impression that I will still have to own all the anthologies in order to
> have all the stories, as each anthology contains at least one story that is
> unique to that anthology. Is this right?

Yes and no. :^) Seriously, I just read/reread all her short stories, and
so I made a table of the short story collections and which stories they
had. My conclusions:

1) The stories in Stopping for a Spell (Chair Person, The Four Grannies,
and Who Got Rid of Angus Flint?) are only in that book, and those are all
the stories the book has.

2) Unexpected Magic and Mixed Magics do not contain any of the same
stories, and if you read both of those, you will then have read all the
short stories I've heard of except for The True State of Affairs (which is
in Everard's Ride and Minor Arcana) and The Shape of the Narrative in Lord
of the Rings, which is not truly a short story, as it's an essay, but it's
fabulous anyway, and it's in Everard's Ride.

Unexpected Magic has four, and Mixed Magics has two, stories that are not
in any other Diana Wynne Jones short story books. So those two books plus
Everard's Ride will get you everything.

(For reference, the other three short story books are Minor Arcana and
Believing Is Seeing, which are identical except that Believing Is Seeing
has Enna Hittims instead of The True State of Affairs, which I think makes
the introduction read a bit more clunkily, and Warlock at the Wheel.)