Trying to access the archives ....

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Jan 31 11:23:04 EST 2004

Charlie:

>  I went
>to the Times online archive to read the interview DWJ did with Nicolette
>Jones (URL = http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,923-623182,00.html).
>This is the one (I think we discussed it at the time) where she speculates
>as to whether JK Rowling had read her books as a child and been influenced
>by them. When I looked at it yesterday, it had sprouted the following
>disclaimer, printed in biggish black letters just under the headline:
>

>J.K. Rowling has asked us to point out that she has never read any of Diana
>Wynne Jones' books
>
>I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't there when the article first
>appeared! So presumably either JKR herself or one of her crack legal team
>insisted on its insertion.
>
>Any comments?

My first thought was that DWJ was very lucky JKR's 'crack legal team'
hadn't seen some of the answers over on the leemac site!  Such as the
one which actually uses the P-word.

>I'm happy to take JKR's word for it, but I find it interesting
>that, though she has publicly endorsed one or two childhood favourites (such
>as *The Little White Horse* and *I Capture the Castle*), at other times she
>finds it necessary to insist how badly-read she is in children's literature.
>I assume this is regarded as less shameful than the imputation that her
>ideas aren't wholly original - even though they clearly depend on their
>familiarity for part of their effect.

I'm certainly not a JKR apologist,  and I'd obviously much prefer to
be on the other side of this debate, but I can imagine her finding
DWJ's comments quite upsetting, especially after she'd already had
one stupid plagiarism court case. (Or is it more than one?)  Far
safer to say you've hardly read anything except for a few older
classics!

Hallie.