Fudge, on and off T

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Jan 30 15:15:48 EST 2004

  Ven said...

  > Anyone else just had to eat something
  > they've been reading about?

  I was reading something at work the other day in which one of the characters
was constructing Futtucine Alfredo.  It caused me to have a mad urge to eat
something really really garlicky *right now* - which was not, of course,
possible. :-)

  > I'd like
  > to try again for a friend's birthday, can anyone
  > give me an estimate of how long the dissolving
  > stage takes  so I can curb my impatience?

  Hm.  It's a few years since I've made fudge, but IIRC, you need to keep the
heat medium-to-low, keep stirring (if fudge sticks, and it far too often does,
it burns and is then not nice), and dissolution takes...about an hour?

  (Pause to seek out Secret Family Fudge Recipe as aide-memoire...)

  Okay, I have a note at the bottom of the recipe that it takes a bit over an
hour (total) to make fudge, and 30 minutes of that is boiling the stuff *after*
the dissolution.  So probably 20 minutes to half an hour for the dissolution
phase.  But then again, it probably depends on your fudge recipe, too.  (Patrick
says that my SFFR is actually for Tablet, not fudge.  ::shrug::)

  Until the sky falls on our heads...

  Dorian.
  --
  Dorian E. Gray
  israfel at eircom.net

  "[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long with
another person."
  - Horace Walpole