Fudge, on and off T

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 20:25:19 EST 2004

It must be time for a food thread! So, the other
day I came back from a nice evening at the pub
and decided I absolutely had to make fudge, even
though it was a quarter to midnight and I had
jaffa cakes if all I wanted was something sweet!
Later, contemplating the rather crumby, gritty,
but nonetheless delicious result, I realised why
I'd had to make fudge -- I'd beeen rereading
Carol O'Neir's dream in whichthe fudge  Melvin is
making goes wrong and ends up on the hotel
carpet. Anyone else just had to eat something
they've been reading about?

The off topic bit: Melvin's fudge went wrong
because there were too many interuptions, mine, I
think, because I had too little patience. It was
taking forever for the sugar to dissolve so I
kept turning up the heat..... which resulted in
it boiling its way to fudge  while still full of
sugar grains (or is that crystals). I then
remembered that I last made fudge as a teenager
and it usually involved a boring afternoon that
needed filling up, as it did take ages. I'd like
to try again for a friend's birthday, can anyone
give me an estimate of how long the dissolving
stage takes  so I can curb my impatience?

=====
Ven