Smarter than the average, um, bear (was Re: Checking in)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 27 18:30:41 EST 2004

> >This reaction is rude. Just ask Miss Manners. It's rude because they are
> >trying to make you feel bad about being smart.
>
>It *is* rude, made worse by the fact that most people who do this to me have
>exactly no idea they are being rude.  They seem to think of it as coping
>with inadequacy or, I don't know, giving you a compliment.  I'm not kidding.

I think it is a coping mechanism, but deep down people still know it is
rude to make these kinds of comments. Not that it stops them. I had a
student comment on an evaluation last semester which said I was
disrespectful of students because I showed that I knew more than they did,
and I also didn't apologise for correcting them when they gave the wrong
answer. No doubt these are the same people who make comments to Melissa.

Robyn