Smarter than the average, um, bear (was Re: Checking in)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Jan 27 02:54:16 EST 2004

(Melissa wrote:)

> >> BOTH the I-feel-really- stupid look AND the "Wow, you're so smart,
> >> it's just amazing how much you know" self-deprecation.

> >This reaction is rude. Just ask Miss Manners. It's rude because they
> > are trying to make you feel bad about being smart.
>
> It *is* rude, made worse by the fact that most people who do this to
> me have exactly no idea they are being rude.  They seem to think of
> it as coping with inadequacy or, I don't know, giving you a
> compliment.  I'm not kidding.

The times I've had it done to me it stopped me letting on that I knew
anything at all in that company. I *especially* hate it when it's
coupled with Gratuitous Use of First Name ("you always know so well,
Irina").

> (on that note, did I mention we nicknamed our new kitten Wee Mad
> Arthur?)

Ooh! Is he ginger? And what will you do when he grows up to have the
figure of Henry VIII? (like our tomcat, whom (!) we prophylactically
called Hendrik, and now he *is* the same shape as said monarch)

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi           Now a Real Blog!