DWJ moment

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 26 06:25:26 EST 2004

Bettina wrote:
> Pippin really needs to find Gandalf, he runs and shouts:
> Gandalf! Have  you seen Gandalf ? Gandalf!
> And I found myself counting: "1, 2 and... 3" and thinking
> "Ha, if he was looking for Chrestomanci, he would appear
>  right now!"

I've been recently reading some fanfic where the author works in all sorts of quotes from other sources - so yesterday I was reading and thought "Ah, Red Dwarf!"- and then realised I was reading the original, not the fic.

[Title withheld to save myself having to remember the actual quote- though, in fact, I re-read the phrase and I think it was probably just a resonance. Still amused me.]

I certainly felt several times as I was reading Harry Potter 5 that a DWJ hero would be a lot more sensible. (Ending up in just as much trouble, but for more interesting reasons.) I mean, Mitt or Moril have just as good reason to be /spoiler omitted/ but they manage to get a grip.
Jennifer