Now terminally OT (was Re: Howl's Moving Castle soundtrack)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 06:18:59 EST 2004

Irina wrote:

>On Sunday 25 January 2004 22:53, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am; also un-PC.  I refuse to accept that dragons are in
>> general oppressed, however much they may be a minority, and I'm
>> certain that duelling has rules quite apart from those that apply in
>> ordinary combat (unless one is a Frisian, in which case my studies
>> lead me to think one may be utterly beyond the pale, but I am fairly
>> confident you are not a Frisian).
>Erm, what's that? I'm three-eighths Frisian (and I can read and
>understand, though not write or speak, the language).
>Does Frisian duelling use combat rules, or does Frisian combat use
>duelling rules, or what?

In the 1380s the Frisians gained a certain notoriety (among the English,
anyhow) by slaughtering their captives out of hand instead of doing what
sensible, mercenary people did and holding them to ransom.  They were a bit
of a byword for Not Playing Fair, for a while there.  I almost certainly
had ancestors on both sides in that particular squabble so I can be
reasonably unbiased about it: the English shouldn't have been in Frisia to
be slaughtered in the first place, chances are.  :-)

It's a reference rather older than the Union of Utrecht, though, and not
one to worry too much about unless one is using it to irritate a drake who
might have been around at the time.  Unfortunately he seems to be too young
to remember the occasion.  Bah, say I.

obDWJ, I always slightly felt that Holand was somehow akin to Frisia,
though I have never been able to put my finger on why I felt this.

Minnow