Checking in

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Sun Jan 25 16:15:40 EST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:38:30 -0700, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
> Does someone want to explain the may/might thing so I can explain
> why the misuse is wrong to all the benighted souls I deal with?
> That, like the use of "whom," is one of those things for which I do
> not know the rules.  I didn't pay any attention in grammar class,
> believing that if I could write things correctly, it matterethed
> not if I knew the rules, but I think it's an advantage...if only to
> pull intellectual rank.

I'm relatively clear on the may/might thing, but can't think of anything that's regularly abused about it.  What do you mean?

For the "whom", I had a revelation on that after I came back from Germany and then studied English.  It turns out that whom is what we called the "Genitive" case when we studied German.  So all I have to do to figure out if it's "whom" is remember the rules for Genitive case if it were German.  A simple rule of thumb is that "whom" is generally used as part of a prepositional phrase.  Hence "to whom it may concern"; "You got it from whom?", etc.

Jacob Proffitt