Checking in

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Jan 25 15:53:05 EST 2004

  Melissa replied to me...

  > On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:29:29 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:
  >
  > >  > "It's this sort of attention to detail which makes the book so good,
and
  > >  > feel so right."
  > >
  > >  I'm totally missing what you feel is wrong with this.  "attention to
detail"
  > >is the direct object of the sentence.  Both "so good" and "feel so right"
modify
  > >the verb ("is this which makes the book").  Okay, that's an adverbial
phrase or
  > >something.
  >
  > Because the two phrases which follow are "makes the book so good" and "feel
  > so right."  So the full modified phrases are "attention to detail which
  > makes the book so good" and "attention to detail which *feel* so right."
  > It's not parallel construction.

  Am I missing something here?  Because I see the full modified phrases as
"attention to detail which makes the book so good" and "attention to detail
which makes the book feel so right".  And those are parallel, and it's all good.

  > My beef is with the use of "which" instead of
  > "that," which (hah!) is very wrong.  Not that I remember how to explain the
  > rule; I just hold fast to it as an example of pedantic grammatical
  > superiority.  :)

  I admit to never being very sure about "which" and "that", and tending to miss
errors there completely.  Something I should really try to get into my head one
of these days.  (Note how I carefully avoiding using either in that sentence!)

  Until the sky falls on our heads...

  Dorian.
  --
  Dorian E. Gray
  israfel at eircom.net

  "[My rule] for keeping my temper in order, is never to leave it too long with
another person."
  - Horace Walpole