Now terminally OT (was Re: Howl's Moving Castle soundtrack)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sun Jan 25 11:26:39 EST 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 04:15:32PM +0000, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>Roger riposted (no, not reposted)
>>With all due respect, the only way a minnow can kill a firedrake in a
>>conventional duel is by the latter choking on the bones of the former.
>>This does not seem to me a terribly even or interesting contest, and I
>>shouldn't be able to hold my head up on the list again...
>I have a feeling that to eat one's opponent is considered fairly
>unacceptable duelling practice in the Best Circles -- or come to that, in
>any circles at all.

It is part of the canonical draconic fighting style. I do hope you're
not planning to be culturally insensitive about this?

>If you can; he apparently couldn't.  I obviously need to invest for the
>occasion in a fish-finger-ballista, to speed the whole business of
>insertion up, or possibly a fish-finger-hose.  I wonder if they have them
>at Brandon Tool Hire.... <ponders>  Would having *very large* fish-fingers
>made specially be allowable?

Probably. What am I allowed to fling back at you while this is going on?
Dry dragon-kibble is likely to soak up any water in which you might
happen to be lurking, which would be uncomfortable at best...

>As a matter of interest, given an absence of any liquid to wash them down
>with how many digestive biscuits at the same time do you think you would be
>able to eat?  Not that I'm planning anything you understand, just that it
>would be an interesting datum.  Ahem.

Assuming straight digestives, not chocolate-coated? Hmm. I shall have to
go and practice.