Checking in

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Jan 24 15:02:41 EST 2004

Otter:

> Lawrence Block is good respite from this.  He can write whole books
> without ever attributing conversation.  I actually didn't notice this
> until
> I read his book _Telling Lies for Fun and Profit_.

I don't know this Lawrence Block - who he?

Rather than bring up my usual suspect Alan Garner at this point (though *Red
Shift* is a good example this kind of adverbless dialogue), I'm wondering
whether anyone else on this list shares my taste for Ivy Compton Burnett,
who does flawless and mercilessly precise (though stylized) social comedy,
almost entirely through conversation.

Charlie