Checking in

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Jan 24 13:43:10 EST 2004

On Friday, January 23, 2004, at 04:29 PM, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>   (No doubt someone will now jump all over my attempts at
> grammaticism.  If you
> can explain me the rules such that they actually stick in my head,
> I'll be
> happy.  I do good grammar myself by instinct, which makes explaining
> it to
> others difficult to impossible.)

Most people do.  They learned it at their parents' knees.  I myself
could do
university level grammar on tests when I was but a pup.

And as for explaining to other people, one of the things I can't do very
often is define words.  If there were other words for the word, I would
have used them to begin with.  If you see what I mean.

I had a boss who trusted my grasp of the English language.  He would
come in with some monstrously complicated grammatical construction
that he was trying to use correctly.  I almost always asked him what
exactly he was trying to say.  Then I would reframe the sentence much
more simply, thus cleverly avoiding whatever the original problem
was.