Checking in

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 21:45:56 EST 2004

Lizzie wrote,

My question is--has the idea of a comma splice
being a bad thing died out in
the UK?  I feel like British authors are a lot
freer with commas than American
authors, and I know that I spent at least a year
in high school (along with my
junior Advanced Placement English class) having
the idea that comma splices are
evil drummed into my head.

Thanks to this and the various replies I have now
become screamingly self conscious about my
commas!
I am from the UK generation that came just after
bad implemenatation of good ideas meant they left
off teaching the rules for things like grammar
and perspective and left us to pick these things
up by osmosis. Fortunately I had various teachers
who would draw the blinds and gather us in close
to receive a few scraps  of the secret knowledge.
Unfortunately I had others who would complain
about errors but never explain, telling us we
were supposed to have learned it by now.
Consequently I rely on my ear (or should that be
eye) for grammar and often don't know WHY
something is right. Hmm, sidetracked by my own
rant (Hmm; sidetracked? Hmm. Sidetracked?) I was
meaning to say that afaik this is treated as a
stylistic issue, a matter of taste in UK english
but I think a light hand with the commas is in
favour at the moment.

=====
Ven