Checking in

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Fri Jan 23 19:24:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Charles Butler wrote:
|By the way, how seriously do people take the 'which/that' distinction? On a
|strict interpretation of that rule, your friend's sentence ought to have had
|a 'that', anyway.

I recently did some contract tech writing in which my correctly used
"which"s were transformed by the editor into incorrect "that"s because
they wanted a more idiomatic language flow.  Reasonable, I suppose,
though I embarrased to have my name on it now.  Though I'm embarrased to
have my name on it because it's badly written for so many reasons; I did
a rotten job.  *sigh*

-deborah
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho