Checking in

Fri Jan 23 18:52:55 EST 2004

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:29:29 -0000, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>  > "It's this sort of attention to detail which makes the book so good, and
>  > feel so right."
>
>  I'm totally missing what you feel is wrong with this.  "attention to detail"
>is the direct object of the sentence.  Both "so good" and "feel so right" modify
>the verb ("is this which makes the book").  Okay, that's an adverbial phrase or
>something.

Because the two phrases which follow are "makes the book so good" and "feel
so right."  So the full modified phrases are "attention to detail which
makes the book so good" and "attention to detail which *feel* so right."
It's not parallel construction.

I think a casual reader is going to blend the two phrases together and miss
the grammatical error (it sounds like a low-budget love ballad, really) so
ultimately it doesn't matter.  My beef is with the use of "which" instead of
"that," which (hah!) is very wrong.  Not that I remember how to explain the
rule; I just hold fast to it as an example of pedantic grammatical
superiority.  :)

Melissa Proffitt