Checking in

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Fri Jan 23 12:27:35 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 06:12:18PM +0100, Monika Huebner wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:05:02 -0500, meparks at mtholyoke.edu wrote:
>>Rowling, too, is not strongest as a technically perfect writer (though she's
>>not nearly as bad as Hamilton).
>Oh no, definitely not. I bounced off the Anita Blake series after the
>second book I read. I think I am less sensible to notice clunky
>writing in English, but I found "Narcissus in Chains" quite horrible.
>To top it all, it didn't have a plot at all, at least I couldn't find
>one.

I think by that point in the series (it is after all volume 10) it's so
entirely about the characters and how they find new ways to make
themselves and each other unhappy that any veneer of detective-story has
long since been scraped off.

Not forgetting the "Meredeth Gentry" series, which a Certain Nameless
Author described as "the books of elven lays".