Checking in

Caroline Mills carrie at pitofdespair.org
Thu Jan 22 23:50:57 EST 2004

> But I'm noticing some patterns in Rowling's writing that I don't like.
> Most specifically, she commits the "sin" of using the same word too
> often, too close together. I don't have a specific example, but it
> would look something like: "Harry pulled out his wand. He touched his
> wand to his nose." That's a bad example and doesn't really get at the
> heart of the problem. Just some infelicitous prose. I'll note down the
> next one I come across.

I find this annoying too, but isn't it meant to be more acceptable
(desirable, even) in children's books?  My pet peeve is unneccessary
clarification - for example when a character's thoughts are implied
by a look, followed by "showing she thought that..." or similar.  This
always jars me in Judith McNaught's books (quality reading...)

> Anyhoo . . . hope everyone is well. Happy Chinese New Year! It's the
> year of the Monkey, which is my year (which means you can figure out a
> small set of possibilities of what my age is!).

Me too!

Caroline