Jon Snow (was Re: Checking in)

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Thu Jan 22 13:53:19 EST 2004

Possible spoilers for Song of Ice and Fire books

On Thursday, January 22, 2004, at 12:08  PM, mecha godscylla wrote:

> Hi Ian and everyone
>
> I haven't read the Potter books, but I do hate it when I see the same
> word used too often.   When I used to read Anne Rice back in my teens
> -  I gnashed my teeth over each appearance of the word 'elegant.'
> Frequent gnashing.  Those books left me yearning for characters with
> very poor hygiene and strange skin conditions.
>
> But I have been reading The Song of Ice and Fire.  I agree about the
> characters.  It's interesting to me how reluctant I feel to consider
> new facets of the characters - the medicine goes down a bit rough, but
> I know it's good.
>
> It's hard to be patient when I am really wondering how he will bring
> it all together. I hope he doesn't rush the story lines with Jon and
> Daenerys.
>
> I wonder if your theory and mine are the same theory??  I hope so as
> it would be validating - some have utterly rejected my theory.

My theory has to do with Jon's parentage. I know we haven't been told
who his mother is explicitly, but I'll lay odds that it's really Lyanna
Stark (Eddard's sister) and that his father is the Targaryen who raped
her (I can't remember which one it was now). Which makes Jon and
Daenerys very closely related. Several times Eddard thinks about the
"price" he paid for keeping Jon's secret. I don't think the price is
losing Jon's mother. I think the price is the loss of his honor because
he's pretending that he had a bastard child.

There's so much emphasis on the fact that the Barratheon children don't
look like Robert when all of his offspring look so much like him. I
think the same is true for Jon Snow. There are many references to him
looking "like a Stark" and most of the references about the other Stark
children say how much they look like their mother and uncle.

My question is, who's left alive who knows this truth? Maester Aemon
perhaps? Stannis or Renly? Someone in Dorne.

Now I really can't wait till the end!

> So... Year of the Monkey - so you must be 12, eh?  12 again?  12
> still?  24? :)

36, actually (or I will be in September)

widdy

For us, my mentality, my religion belongs to me and I will deal
personally with that. I am a public person in a very diverse society,
and I don't think I can impose every limit of my morality on others,
because I don't want others to impose their morality on me.
- Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net