Checking in

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Thu Jan 22 12:32:30 EST 2004

Just checking in that I've not been bumped off the list. We've been
awfully quiet. I know I've been swamped with work.

It's amazing, you know, how reading something out loud can show up it
strengths and weaknesses. I'm reading the Harry Potter books to my
partner (this after reading Lord of the Rings and then Pullman's His
Dark Materials trilogy) and we're enjoying them immensely (he for the
first time, me for the fourth I think).

But I'm noticing some patterns in Rowling's writing that I don't like.
Most specifically, she commits the "sin" of using the same word too
often, too close together. I don't have a specific example, but it
would look something like: "Harry pulled out his wand. He touched his
wand to his nose." That's a bad example and doesn't really get at the
heart of the problem. Just some infelicitous prose. I'll note down the
next one I come across.

I'm also re-reading George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books in
preparation for the release of the fourth volume some time this decade
(trying to be patient!). I love these books. I know they're violent.
But they're full of deep, passionate, complex characters that I've
grown to love and hate more and more each time I read these books.
Martin is so deft at showing characters who are the nominal "heros" of
the story acting in not-so-great ways (Catelyn is the prime example of
this). And even more deft at creating characters who are ostensibly on
the wrong side (or at least, in conflict with the "protagonists") and
who are the ones we're really cheering for (Tyrion is the prime example
of this). What will be interesting to see is if I feel this way about
Jaime Lannister once I've read the 4th book. And it will be interesting
to see what happens when Danerys and Jon Snow eventually meet (as they
must in some way, I think). It's quite easy for them to be the heros of
their own story when they are so far apart. But what happens when they
come together? Of course, I have a theory about that . . . . . (I'll
discuss it if you like, but I don't want to spoil anything . . .).

Anyhoo . . . hope everyone is well. Happy Chinese New Year! It's the
year of the Monkey, which is my year (which means you can figure out a
small set of possibilities of what my age is!).

take care

widdy

Henry Drummond: You ever been in love Hornbeck?
E. K. Hornbeck: Only with the sound of my own words, thank god.
- Jerome Lawrence & Robert E. Lee: Inherit the Wind

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net