DWJ on Inkheart

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Jan 14 14:30:18 EST 2004

Way back on 22nd November Charlie wrote:

>DWJ has written a review of Cornelia Funke's *Inkheart* in today's Guardian

>Despite the opening promise that 'I don't think I've ever read anything that
>conveys so well the joys, terrors and pitfalls of reading', and an almost
>equally positive conclusion, it falls some way short of being a rave.
>
>Anyone here read it? (After all, we shouldn't trust those darn critics...
>:-))

I finally got my mitts on it a couple of days ago and read it.  I can see
why DWJ might not have raved all the way through, but it does have an
interesting slant on both reading and being an author: slight spoiler

If one allows characters written as deliberately horrible people to escape
from their book-setting into the world in which their author lives, it's
going to be a nasty shock for the person who wrote an irredemably vile
person when s/he actually *meets* the villain in question and is treated
without any respect at all for his/her status as the person's creator.

(If you want to buy it, Charlie, there's a copy in the University branch of
Waterstones, by the Arts library, in the half-price offers section at 6.50.
At least, there was yesterday.)

Minnow