Joan Aiken, vague spoiler for Midwinter Nightingales (and real spoiler for series)

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Tue Jan 13 13:34:03 EST 2004

Interesting!  Now, I think that Dido's supposed death is one that I
wouldn't have minded, because it was --- I dunno --- earned (?).  I'm not
sure that's the word that I want.  But I suppose that I mean that it made
sense in the context and it had purpose and meaning and an effect on the
people around her.  In the later books, people just get killed off right,
left and rat's ramble (in my favorite Dido phrase).

I mean, the entire boatload of people whom we met in the Cathedral at the
end of Cuckoo's Nest going down at the opening of Dido and Pa?  I liked
those people and their deaths just seemed like "poof!"  They're gone.  Oh
well.   Starting with Dido and Pa, I started getting very leery about
getting attached to any of the characters--they are too likely to die in
some bizarre and to my mind unnecessary accident.  And wouldn't all the
death that starts happening around Dido start to have an effect on her?

You know, I'm thinking about putting together a Joan Aiken memorial panel
for the Children's Literature Association conference in Fresno, in June
of this year.  Anyone who is following or participating in this
thread--are you interested in delivering a paper on Aiken?  Death in Joan
Aiken's Wolves Chronicles, perhaps?

Let me know!

Jackie