Joan Aiken, vague spoiler for Midwinter Nightingales (and real spoiler for series)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 13 11:18:40 EST 2004

Charlie:

>  > And then there is the article I read in Locus, iirc, in which JA said
>>  she'd planned to leave Dido dead after Black Hearts, but was
>>  convinced to change her mind by a young fan.  Which was shot down as
>>  not credible on the list when I mentioned it then, so I bring it up
>>  now very much in the FWIW department. :)
>
>You're not wrong but right, Hallie. This is taken from JA's interview in
>*The Pied Pipers*:

Thanks, Charlie, but I didn't mean to imply that people here had said
I'd invented this, only that they didn't believe JA meant what she'd
said.  I could be misremembering as well as misrepresenting here,
though it's all unintentional if so.

>"I did go on with Dido, mainly because of the letters [from children],
>though I'd intended her to die in *Black Hearts in Battersea*, because I
>thought the death of a child was something everyone ought to face; and then
>I had a really heartrending letter from in a child in America saying why did
>she have to die, she was so good; so--at that time I was interested in
>whaling ships, and I couldn't resist combining the whaling ship with having
>her rescued from the sea."

Nice to see this version too.

>She goes on to add this hostage to fortune:
>
>"I don't think I will write about her any more, because she's now grown
>quite enough."

>That was in 1974...

Thank goodness she changed her mind on this also!

Hallie.