Joan Aiken, vague spoiler for Midwinter Nightingales (and real spoiler for series)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Jan 12 09:28:49 EST 2004

The real spoiler is below added space, so you can read the vague one
and not meet any big bad ones there.  :)

Jackie:

>There is a small mistake in the story.  Midwinter Nightingales is already
>out.  I have a copy and have read it, and actually found it pretty
>disturbing.  In the later books, it seems, Aiken just starts...
>
>small, rather vague spoiler coming up...

>killing people off without compunction.  No major characters, but several
>minor characters that I'd come to like.  Same thing in Dido and Pa and in
>Is Underground.

Do you really think it's without compunction?  I found _Is_ very sad,
and disturbing even, but can't honestly think that it would have felt
'righter' (for whatever values of 'right'!) if the characters hadn't
been killed off, though it would certainly have been more upbeat.
I'm not sure who you mean in_Dido and Pa_ , though I guess it's
*possible* to feel liking for one character who bought it. (Keeping
it to vague.)

Spoiler for series overall:

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

*

What I have against the series (in the mildest sort of way) is that
poor Simon has to become king and is left all alone and then JA
stopped adding Dido books at the end of the story!  MW is slotted in
the middle of the story somewhere, like Dangerous Games/Limbo Lodge,
right?  For all people have said against the Mitt-story ending (I'm
not in the speaking-against camp, FWIW), it's at least got hope,
contrasted with the place Simon was left.

I love the series too.  (And the Felix one, which also has a fair few
characters killed off, now I come to think of it.)

Hallie.