sadly ignorant

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 11 13:37:31 EST 2004

>Dunno.  In retrospect, it's not that bad, just that none of the Young
>Wizards books have lived up the the promise of the first two, in my
>opinion.  I've been downright annoyed by the last two Nita books.  So I
>withdraw my "kinda bad" assessment.

No, don't, because it is an excellent epithet. I find Duane particularly
irritating because I think she has really good ideas, and then executes
them poorly, or patchily. So she is "kinda bad". I have a strong feeling
that she has no ear at all for the English language -- an odd problem for a
writer. To me, this is exemplified by the names she calls her main
characters: "Neets" like "nits" and the one that I have no idea how to
pronounce, but which seems to sound a lot like diarrhoea.

Robyn