CFP: Children's Literature Association conference (01/31/04; in Fresno, CA 06/10/04-06/13/04)

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Thu Jan 8 14:18:20 EST 2004

Please excuse cross-posting; I want to get this out as widely as
possible...

DEADLINE APPROACHING!
JANUARY 31, 2004

Dreams and Visions
Children’s Literature Association’s 31st Annual Conference
Fresno, California, June 10-13, 2004

Gold, Glitter, Growth and Grunge… California dreaming embraces the whole
range of our cultural imagination.  In the 21st century, we are one of
the largest economies in the world and a multicultural, polyglot state
with numerous immigrant populations, including Armenians, British, El
Salvadoreans, Hmong, Koreans, Mexicans, Russians, Vietnamese and many,
many more….  Dreams and visions of a better life—sometimes achieved,
sometimes remaining just out of reach—have powered native-born and
immigrant Californians for decades.

We welcome abstracts for essays that engage with California and Western
dreams, visions, and history specifically, or with dreams and visions
relating to children’s literature in general. The conference will be held
at the Arne Nixon Center for the Study of Children’s Literature, where
works by Lewis Carroll, Frances Hodgson Burnett and Leo Politi are
emphasized in the collection.  Therefore we also particularly encourage
essays on the works of these authors.

Suggested topics, as they relate to children and children’s literature:

California and the West: myth and reality
Pioneers and pioneering:  literal and figurative
Westward expansion
Missionary experiences
Utopian visions and experiments
Agriculture and childhood
Shattered illusions
Global culture/local culture
Media and childhood
Dreams, visions and culture
Race, gender and dreams/visions
Dreams and/or visions in literature
Paradisiacal visions or images of paradise
Technology and childhood
Gold rushes in children’s literature (California’s or others)
Metaphoric or symbolic “gold”; e.g. Little Golden Books; Golden Age
Urban experiences and life: arts, culture, gangs, poverty, drugs
Rural experiences:  farm life, agriculture
Divisions and intersections of cultures: economic, racial, cultural,
geographic
Children’s popular culture: movies, television shows, CD-roms, computer
and video games

For questions about the conference, please contact the conference
coordinator:
Angelica Carpenter, Curator
 Arne Nixon Center for the Study of Children's Literature
California State University, Fresno
5200 North Barton Ave.  M/S ML34
Fresno, California 93740-8014
(559) 278-8116  Email:  angelica at csufresno.edu

Please send panel proposals or paper abstracts (250-550 words) to:
Jackie Stallcup,
English Department
California State University, Northridge
18111 Nordhoff Street,
Northridge, CA, 91330-8248.
(818) 677-3412  Email: jackie.stallcup at csun.edu

Deadline for proposals and abstracts:  January 31st, 2004