Joan Aiken, vague spoiler for Midwinter Nightingales

jackie e stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Thu Jan 8 12:30:38 EST 2004

Hi all--

There is a small mistake in the story.  Midwinter Nightingales is already
out.  I have a copy and have read it, and actually found it pretty
disturbing.  In the later books, it seems, Aiken just starts...

small, rather vague spoiler coming up...

killing people off without compunction.  No major characters, but several
minor characters that I'd come to like.  Same thing in Dido and Pa and in
Is Underground.

That aside, I absolutely LOVE her work.

Is anyone interested in giving a paper on her?  I'm thinking that a
memorial panel at the upcoming ChLA conference (June, Fresno, more info
to follow later today) might be a lovely idea....

Jackie S.