Genric Holiday Post (a Bit of Best of, a bit of Christmas Books)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sat Jan 3 11:50:29 EST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:46:11AM +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>My husband and I find this fascinating when we watch "Inspector Rex" with
>subtitles. The characters will say a lot, but there will be just a few words
>on screen.

Heh! Try watching anime (especially Japanese, but this is true of the
stuff I've seen from Korea as well) - most of the time it's that way
round, but occasionally (usually at moments of high drama) the sound is
just one or two syllables, accompanied by two lines of text (and often a
head-note explaining the cultural reference too)...

Roger