Genric Holiday Post (a Bit of Best of, a bit of Christmas Books)

Monika Huebner mo.hue at web.de
Sat Jan 3 08:30:31 EST 2004

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:35:32 +1100, "Sally Odgers"
<sodgers at tassie.net.au> wrote:

>The nearest I get to another language is a
>husband-and-wife team in Sydney. They occasionally hire me to do
>storylining. One is Polish, the other Israeli, and between them they speak
>four languages (at least). Our only common language is English, which the
>husband says he "is speaking not so very well". So, he thinks about what he
>wants in Polish, then shifts to Yiddish to tell his wife. She sorts that
>out, sifts it through Israeli and then shifts to English to tell me. It's
>crazy, but it works!

That sounds really complicated. ;) I have no problem with switching
from German to English or French and back, but it is a nightmare when
I'm reading a book in English and I am being interrupted by a
telephone call from one of my father's friends from France and have to
speak French on the phone (they sometimes ring me up because my father
doesn't speak French). In that case, I start mixing up the two
languages, confusing the caller who suddenly doesn't understand me any
longer. ;-)

Something I never do is translating in my head when I read something
in another language. I sometimes hear that people use to do that, but
if I am reading something in English or French, it's also for the
beauty of the language. English is way more elegant than German, in
general you need many more words to say the exact same thing.

Monika