Genric Holiday Post (a Bit of Best of, a bit of Christmas Books)

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Fri Jan 2 23:00:19 EST 2004

> >believing that foreigners should learn English, and
> >that Australians in particular are the worst of the
> >lot.

In the normal run of life I don't encounter anyone who doesn't speak English
as a first language. However, when I venture to the mainland, I have trouble
with taxi drivers. But then - which language should I learn? Taxi drivers
are Chinese, Arabic, Indian, Pakistani, Middle European etc etc etc. I've
never in my life met a native German speaker or (as far as I'm aware) anyone
who can speak Indonesian or French as a first language, and those, plus
Japanese,  are the only languages schools seem to offer. I do meet the
occasional Japanese tourist, but they all speak English.

I suspect if Australians lived closer to other countries we might be better
linguists.

Sallyo.