Best of 2003

Miss Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Fri Jan 2 02:32:09 EST 2004

Before I list my list(it's not that long or intellectual, and it's really just from this holidays): I just read Hexwood and Mister Monday for the first time! I am happy to announce that Mordion was fantastic, I really liked Veiren's character, and I found her very easy to identify with (although she was probably more logical and practical), and I think Hexwood is another DWJ fave for me. I enjoyed Mister Monday too.

Best: The Bitterbynde Trilogy by Cecilia Dart Thornton - Staggeringly good!
 2nd: Sabriel and Lirael (haven't read Abhorsen) by Garth Nix - a wonderful change and a fascinating world. Can't - wait - for - third - book!!!
 3rd: Merlin Conspiracy (earlier this year) - really enjoyed it, I don't mind Nick as a character, had a resounding ending and I loved the Welsh grandfather.

You might say the worst was The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy. Fine at first, atrocious towards the end in melodrama and improbabilities. But we all knew that anyway, it's supposed to be. And I did enjoy it.

After that, I can't really remember. Re-read (and understood for the first time) Lords and Ladies and Hogfather, by Pratchett. Enjoyed them very much.

Have started Perdido Street Station (and might not finish it) and am fully intending to try and get Neverwhere next.

Thankyou for being such an enjoyable and informative list, people.

Aimee.