Best of 2003 and my own worst

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 15:37:49 EST 2004

--- Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:20:21PM -0800, Jon Noble
> wrote:
> >I'll just add my own personal worst book of the
> year,
> >as this year I read a truly terrible one. "Colin
> the
> >Librarian" (can't recall the author)
>
> By Rich Parsons and Tony Keaveny, published by
> Michael O'Mara, 1993 in
> hardcover and 1994 in paperback. The first review I
> found, on a quick
> search, begins: "I have always thought that there is
> always something
> positive that can be said about any book, if you
> look hard enough. [This
> book] definitely challenges that presumption."

<http://homepage.tinet.ie/~albedo1/reviews-humorous-fantasy.html>

Pretty fair review, perhaps a little generous, the
book is truely bad. I am astonished to discover that
i) it took two people to write something this bad
and
ii) it actualy had hardcover and paperback editions. I
supose lots of librarians bought it in hardcover on
account of the title. I suspect that it was very
common in library book sales in 1994. Still I'll be
keeping my copy as a canditate for Worst Fantasy Book
Ever.

Jon