Best of 2003 (excruciatingly long)

Thu Jan 1 15:35:21 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:14:40 -0700, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 03:34 PM, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>>> You could solve your problem here by taking up with Amazon.co.uk.
>>
>> This would require my having a much larger book budget than I have.
>> :)  I
>> order all the Pratchetts from there and about half the DWJ
>> books--though I'm
>> as likely to get them from the local store.  I think I've mentioned
>> that my
>> habit of buying Pratchett books from England has more to do with not
>> liking
>> the crappy U.S. covers than anything else, now that they're released
>> simultaneously.
>
>If you just heard high-pitched squealing noises over there in Utah
>-- I'm in southwest Colorado --, it's because I just opened a present
>from my niece -- the US edition of _Monstrous Regiment_ autographed
>by Sir Pterry!  I'm thrilled!
>
>It says:  To Otter, even though the rest of your collection has British
>covers!

Now THAT would make the yellow cover worthwhile!  Hooray for you!

Along those lines, we went on a book-buying spree for our anniversary, and I
picked up a couple of Jane Smiley books I didn't have--one was my favorite,
_Horse Heaven_.  I didn't flip through it in the store, but when I got home
and was cataloguing it, it turned out to be a signed copy.  Too bad it
wasn't inscribed to me, but...it was a nice surprise.

Melissa Proffitt