Little Big (was: RE: Zod Wallop)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Feb 28 19:47:36 EST 2004

On Saturday, February 28, 2004, at 02:34 PM, Charles Butler wrote:

> I've been intrigued by this book, without quite getting my act
> together to
> read it, ever since I read about it in Brian Attebery's *Strategies of
> Fantasy* - a critical book I like a lot (as I may have mentioned
> before). My
> to-be-read shelf is already groaning, and Crowley's book does look a
> little,
> er, big - but if anyone here gives it an unequivocal thumbs-up it may
> leapfrog quite a few other items..

It gets an unequivocal thumbs-up from this otter.  Definitely.  No
doubt.  Absolutely.

When I read it the first time, I did not find it particularly slow.
However,
I don't seem to have the energy to reread it in its entirety often ....
I'm
trying to remember if I've reread the whole thing ever and I _think_ I
have, but not lately.  So as soon as I've finished rereading _Good
Omens_, I think I'll take it on.

I have no idea whether being born and brought up in the NE USofA
helps.  I suspect it does.

I like _Engine Summer_ a lot, too.  And _Beasts_, which I _have_ reread
in the last couple of years.  A couple of years ago I had a Crowley fit
and
bought one or two newer ones, but I didn't get around to them while the
fit was on, and they're waiting for me still.

[Speaking of rereading, I went to the public library lately, and have
just
  finished their copy of _The Satanic Mill_ by Otfried Preussler.]

- My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier,
   you'll become a general; if you become a monk,
   you'll end up as the pope."  Instead, I became a
   painter and wound up as Picasso.

                                -- Pablo Picasso