Slightly OT: Nebula Awards

Sat Feb 28 01:19:50 EST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:16:31 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>So, who do people like for the Nebula?

>I've only read the Bujold and the McDevitt. I think we've discussed the
>slight disappointment of the Bujold book; I thought it wasn't one of her
>best. Normally I would be totally wanting her to win, but I'm torn. Chindi
>was an excellent book.
>
>I heard a really boring paper about Hopkinson at the SF conference this
>month, which didn't make me want to read the book. Anyone have any comments
>about the others?

I've only read the same ones you have.  I loved _Chindi_ and I think I'd go
for that over _Diplomatic Immunity_.  Too bad I can't vote.  I will have to
lean on the SFWA member I know and see if I can influence her.  :)  I
imagine my reading group will be going through this list in the next few
months, as is our tradition.  (Right now we're in the middle of a long set
of serious books:  _Life of Pi_, _Zod Wallop_ and _The Blind Assassin_.)

I liked _Crescent City Rhapsody_, which is the only other thing I've read by
Kathleen Goonan, so I'm looking forward to hers.  Never read anything by
Emshwiller or Hopkinson.  I'm not--I have to say this carefully--I have
liked a lot of what Elizabeth Moon writes, but I'm not enough of a fan to
rush out and buy every new book, so I'm not really eager for _Speed of
Dark_.

Well, well.  The more I think about it the more I would like Jack McDevitt
to win this year.

Melissa Proffitt