Towards a definition of "YA"

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 14:53:45 EST 2004

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Melissa and deborah:
>
> Melissa:
> How about "Growth Fiction"?  Or "Youth Fiction"?  To
> go with Science
> Fiction and Historical Fiction and Romantic Fiction
> and all the rest of the
> genres?  Some word that isn't so firmly linked to an
> age of person, and
> more to a type of work?

How would that be different from a Bildungsroman,
which is not, I realise, a term often used by
booksellers? It is not the same thing as YA but there
is a huge crossover. I just tried googling these terms
as bildungsroman has some 24,000 hits, YA fiction over
6000 and "young adult fiction" 66,000. So on the web,
at least, the term is still widely used.

Jon