Translating "witch"

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Feb 23 15:27:58 EST 2004

On Monday, February 23, 2004, at 12:03 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Otter wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 03:57 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I'd be interested in looking at the places where "witch" occurs
>>> in the
>>> King James (well, all right, both the places: Ex 22.18 and Deut
>>> 18,10)
>>
>> The New Oxford Annotated Bible doesn't use 'witch' in either of these
>> places, although they use 'wizard' in Deut.
>
> Meep.  Meep meep meep-meep, meep, meep; PEEM!!!
>
> [a] what does it say instead, in Ex 22,18?
> [b] which bit of Deut? 18,10, or somewhere else?
> [c] if Gili says the Hebrew word at Ex 22.18 means "witch" in Hebrew,
> does
> your brain now hurt too?

[a] You shall not permit a sorceress to live.

[The Jerusalem Bible also says 'sorceress.']

[b] Deut 18 (10) There shall not be found among you any one
who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, any one who
practices divination, a soothsayer, or an augur, or a sorcerer
(11)or a charmer, or a medium, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

[The Jerusalem Bible says:  There must never be anyone
among you who makes his son or daughter pass through fire,
who practices divination, who is soothsayer, augur or sorcerer,
who uses charms, consults ghosts or spirits, or calls up the dead.]

[c] yes.

- If you're living like there's no global warming,
   you'd better be right.