a defense, of sorts, of HP

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Feb 23 15:13:22 EST 2004

On Monday, February 23, 2004, at 09:15 AM, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

>>> I had never heard of the Director of  Public
>>> Prosecutions until he was done for curb-crawling a few years ago.
>>> Jennifer
>
> Otter wrote:
>> You didn't read enough Michael Gilbert.
>
> Clearly not- who he?

Well, he wrote a bunch of mysteries -- books and short stories.  He was
a lawyer --
I don't remember whether he was a solicitor or a barrister -- and also
wrote on the law.  He was the editor of the Oxford Book of Legal
Anecdotes.

He was born in 1912 and died in the last few years.  He started
writing soon after the end of WW2.

He's a very fine writer.  Very fine indeed.  The first one I ever read
was _Smallbone Deceased_, which was a Penguin edition.  It's
good, but it's not my total favorite.

I'm trying to remember where I ran into the DPP and I can't.

I highly recommend him.

- My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier,
   you'll become a general; if you become a monk,
   you'll end up as the pope."  Instead, I became a
   painter and wound up as Picasso.

                                -- Pablo Picasso