Witchcraft/Witch Week (was Re: Rowling and religion in CL)

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Mon Feb 23 12:38:51 EST 2004

In alternate histories, am I right in thinking it is common to put
modern witch-hunting as a result the Restoration never having
occurred, i.e. Britain is still under the Puritan Commonwealth or its
equivalent? I seem to recall this is the case in Orson Scott Card's
Alvin Maker series, and I have the feeling it is alluded to in Witch
Week (book at home, can't check, and in any case I think the "split"
between our world and Witch Week's is left somewhat hazy as I recall).

I don't know that it is all that unreasonable to assume that later
developments in Puritan New England would not have been carried out
as well in a continuing Commonwealth.

Nat