The Potterverse (was; DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Feb 23 10:32:45 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:30:27AM -0700, Otter Perry wrote:
>There's an incredible amount of eating sweets and an incredible lack
>of physical activity at Hogwarts, which makes this one wonder
>why JKR so readily despises fat people and equates their condition
>with sloth, stupidity, and evil.

Because that's what the school stories that are so clearly her model do
(both the not bothering to mention exercise - because games just
_happen_ and can be assumed to be known to the audience - and the "fat
people are stupid and nasty" trope, because in a setting where almost
everyone's getting a decent amount of exercise it takes _effort_ to be
fat)?

>- If you think you're too small to have an impact,
>  try going to bed with a mosquito.

When mosquitoes bite me, they die of it.

Roger