The Potterverse (was; DWJ in Israeli newspaper)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Feb 23 10:30:27 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 03:58 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Oh, eek, argh.  The more I hear, the less I am impressed.  Do they do
> gym?
> Or has she resisted someone being bad at gym and getting made fun of
> for
> it?  I thought they had organised games, at least, or is the
> football-on-broomsticks an extra-curricular activity?

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Well, they have a class in flying on broomsticks,
mentioned in the five books exactly once, the very first class when Our
Hero discovers [a] that he has enormous natural talent and [b] Other
People discover it as well.

If Our Hero and/or his classmates continue taking flying lessons, we
never
hear about it.

Quidditch is played outside regular class times.  Although it's a
professional sport in the wizard world, the only time Our Hero
plays is in house practices and house matches.  [Although children
brought up in the wizard world play it at home, come to think of
it, just like they use broomsticks.]

There's an incredible amount of eating sweets and an incredible lack
of physical activity at Hogwarts, which makes this one wonder
why JKR so readily despises fat people and equates their condition
with sloth, stupidity, and evil.

- If you think you're too small to have an impact,
   try going to bed with a mosquito.

                                                              -- Anita
Roddick