The Little Mermaid (was Re: far too many thoughts etc)

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Feb 23 10:14:29 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 02:26 PM, Irina Rempt wrote:

> My daughters love those things. I've given up arguing with them. At
> least they're also reading DWJ and Narnia (and the eldest, only
> recently ten, reads the "problem book" type of YA; she'll grow out of
> it as I did).

If there were YA 'problem books' when I was a kid, I didn't know.  I
read a lot, but I sure never ran into them.  I was floored when I first
ran into Lois FitzHugh, for example, and found out that all children's
books aren't resolved in the end.  I was in my 20s by then.

It would have been useful to me, I think, to have found this out
earlier.
Not that there were children's books that aren't resolved in the end,
exactly, but that there were children's situations that were incapable
of happy endings.

[On another paw, I was so far out to lunch it might not have helped.]

- Dieting is the cure that doesn't work for the
   disease that isn't real.