secular gods, was RE: Rowling and religion

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Mon Feb 23 10:04:43 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 01:22 PM, Jon Noble wrote:

> I was brought up in a very Christian household where
> Chistmas was not celebtrated in any form as my father
> regarded it as a purely pagan celebration that had
> been snuck into the litergy by satanic idoloters (ie
> Catholics).
>
> Jon

Many people have shared that belief -- the Puritans,
for example.  And they pretty much have truth on their
side.

The Jehovah's Witnesses who come to my door feel
that way, too.  One of my cousins became a JW and
it drove his mother and my mother _nuts_ that they
couldn't give his daughter gifts for Christmas.  I
believe they were reduced to only giving birthday
presents.

- If you're living like there's no global warming,
   you'd better be right.