a defense, of sorts, of HP

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 08:51:28 EST 2004

> Gili wrote:
>  DWJ is a goddess amongst authors and writes plots
> that are past-paced and suspenseful and only have very little
> and necessary holes in them (such as how could Cat and
> Gwendolyn not ever have heard of Chrestomanci if he really is
> all that important?)

That one actually doesn't bother me. The witches they know don't mention him because they don't want to attract his attention, and the other people of the town (who they don't seem to have much to do with) just fail to mention him because he isn't that impostant to them. It's easy for children to be ignorant.
Trying to think of something similar to the bureaucracy of magic in our world, I came up with the justice system- I read the papers and detective stories, and talked to my parents and so on, so I was reasonably clued up about the police and the courts etc, but I had never heard of the Director of Public Prosecutions until he was done for curb-crawling a few years ago.
Jennifer