secular gods, was RE: Rowling and religion

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Feb 23 03:43:56 EST 2004

lizzie wrote:

>>Yes, but what I find interesting here is how pagan Baum's Santa Claus is
(to my
memory).

Well, he did invent a whole alternative life for Santa Claus that had
nothing to do with being St. Nicholas, and everything to do with being
chosen of the fairies...

>>>  I was thinking about religion in DWJ, and the
thing that comes to mind is when Millie assures Christoper that "Asheth is
real."  And certainly Asheth exists in a much more practical way than does
any
other god in DWJ that I can think of. . .

How about the Gods in "A Sudden Wild Magic"? And of course those in "Dark
Lord of Derkholm".