OT: off topic! (was Re: Rowling and religion)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 22 22:14:14 EST 2004

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> [snippage]
> >Them: "But deborah, I'm not a Christian, and I
> celebrate this holiday!
> >I just call it Xmas (Ed. note: remember where the
> "X" comes from)
>
> I thought it meant "the unknown quantity", when it
> wasn't marking the spot.
> :-)  Nowadays it probably has a connection in
> people's mind's with the
> X-files rather than with the greek letter.

Hmm, the idea of X-mas as an XFiles holiday for
conspiracy theorists, I like it, I like it. Mind you
you'd probably have to give people anal probes as
presents - on second thoughts, no I don't like it.

Jon
In one of Greg Egan's SF novels a minor character is
an academic in the disipline of X-Files studies.